07 November 2008

'Inappropiate' is an understatement

I've blogged here before (and also here) about Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi -- and my opinion of him has been consistently negatory since Anno Domini 2000. The absolute highlight of my life has been the time I spent in Italy, mostly because of so many of the lovely people I know from there. But in the same way that Americans were really not very respected on the world stage for a long time because of who we elected multiple times (Dubya), I admit sometimes having a hard time respecting Italians for electing Berlusconi multiple times. And will I ever understand Italian politics? No way, in the same way non-American people will never really understand American politics.

All that having been said, here's the latest:
"I will try to help relations between Russia and the United States where a new generation has come to power, and I don't see problems for Medvedev to establish good relations with Obama who is also handsome, young and suntanned," he said.
Silvio, any way you cut it you're just making yourself look like an ignorant [insert choice expletive here].

UPDATE:
"Mr Berlusconi said he had intended the remark as a compliment and those who failed to understand this were "imbeciles"."
(from the Times -- they even have a video)

No comments: