29 October 2008

Pork products, one of the keys to my heart


Because of the time of year, people are starting to get excited about killing pigs. I may be am highly biased, but their excitement is infectious. After an earlier post extolling the virtues of bacon, my mom and I were talking and she said, "I'm so glad you enjoy it, but think of your arteries!" My answer: "But Mom, I feel so good, now!" We both had a good laugh.

Before I go any further, I must ask you to please devote a few minutes of your day to listening to this amazing story told by Edgar Oliver. It will help you feel excited, too.

...

Now that you've listened to it, you're just as excited as I am.

Evidently, it's best to kill a pig when there's snow on the ground. There's no snow yet, which is why no pigs have been killed yet.

This week, I was in the zborovňa and one of my colleagues was refilling an inkjet cartridge with a syringe. He said, "This printer comes from America, so it's 120v. Here we have 220. So there's this big transformer here. [A big metal doorstopper of a transformer, like what my friend Bridget had in Rome courtesy of the Embassy.] My dad made it -- actually, he used it for killing pigs! [My colleague laughed and showed where on the throat his father would shock the pig.]

Evidently the process was 1. electrocute, and 2. bleed. The instrument is now sitting peacefully in our zborovňa.

No comments: