09 August 2012

How to make tombet

Based on what I hear from loyal readers IRL, my food posts are popular (shoutout to the Uniontown crew!).  So instead of posting all of the other things I eventually want to write and share, I made a video of how to make one of my favorite Mallorcan dishes: tombet.  This dish is everything that makes Mallorcan food so great - it's rustic and very tasty.  There are only a few ingredients: flour, olive oil, tomato puree, potatoes, red pepper, eggplant and zucchini (zucchini is apparently more of a post-modern addition, but if you've got it in the garden, you can only make so much zucchini bread, right?).
It's kind of a lot of prep work, but that can be eased with a mandoline slicer and a helper, and the effort will reward your taste buds infinitely. 


(Click here if you're reading this in an e-mail and can't see the video.)

The music accompanying the video is by a contemporary Mallorcan folk group, Caliu

No comments: