Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pound of fresh okra, stemmed and sliced ½ inch thick (NB: choose young pods free of bruises, tender but not soft and no more than 4" long)
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet; add the sliced onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin sees and turmeric and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add the okra and cook for 2 minutes, tossing. Add tomatoes and cook over high heat until they release their juices, about 1 minute. Add the water and cover, stirring occasionally, until okra is tender, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt if desired.