22 January 2009

I’m a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves, I’ll give you a topic.

"Rhode Island is neither a road nor is it an island. Discuss."

Here’s an analogy I’d like to present for consideration (considering that I have like no real mastery of three of the 4 languages I’m about to mention):

Slovak : Czech :: American English : British English

I watch quite a bit of British television, and here there is quite a bit of Czech on Slovak television. For example, when there’s something on the news from Prague, they don’t really bother translating it. People can understand it, like 98% of the time, except the other 2% when they’re like “what?” which is like Americans watching British television.

Yes no?

No comments: